Sunday, December 11, 2011

Wuxi, China - Day 2

Had another very interesting day today. Only 1 practice, but it was a very good one. I was honored to be able to coach one of the groups (11-12 years olds) in my style. I elected to do a practice that would make Phil proud and I sprinted them to death. They loved it.... and hated it. It was very challenging for them, but they handled it very well. It is a very talented group of kids and they would be considered VERY advanced in our country, especially in the Breast and Fly. I found out their secret to producing great breaststroke and butterfly swimmers. Simple. They team them first. Not just in a club situation, but in a regular learn to swim too. The first thing they teach is the breaststroke kick. I found that interesting. I gave a few of the ones that handled it best a few "Comets" shirts and team caps. I think they enjoyed that.

After practice, Coach Xu, one of the supervising coaches and Holly (the Interpreter) went and had a traditional lunch and one of the most famous (and oldest) restaurant in Wuxi. The food was very good. I am a little hampered by an upset stomach, but I did my best. I have never been to the East, so my body is not accustomed to the different microorganisms that they have here, and it will certainly take a little time to get accustomed to it. It's pretty common I guess for first time visitors to China from the west (and I'm sure it would be the same for them coming to our country).

After lunch, we briefly toured a shopping center and they are pretty much the same as they are at home (even the goods). Most "sporting" facilities are owned by the government over here, but Coach Xu is friendly with the owner of a fitness center that has a 25M pool. It's one of the very few privately owned swimming pool (suitable for practicing) in all of Wuxi. In fact, there is a small club team that swims out of it a few times a week. We went over to check it out, and to have a genuine Chinese foot massage. It was pretty exciting and unique.

One thing that I find amazing is how well I'm being treated here. Coach Xu has been so incredibly gracious  with his time and everyone I've met, has been so kind. While many westerners travel to China on business, I think that in this area and in the places I'm going, they do not see westerners very much and I am a total attraction to them. They politely star at me, or go out of their way to say hi (mostly in English too). It's very strange because in our culture, we routinely see people from different places, so it's not strange to see someone that "looks different". Here, it's not that way at all. I'm very "unique". The average Chinese person is very intrigued my "western appearance" The only thing I can compare it to is being famous. Everywhere I go, people look smile, point, or giggle to the the person they are with. Not at all in a rude way either. Hard to get used to at first, but easier as time goes on. The only negative reaction was from a very small child that got into the elevator with her parents today. She cowered in fear at her mothers leg as she had never seen a westerner before. Her mom was embarrassed, but I thought it was cute.

The club was great and they, very typically, went WAY far out of the way to make me feel welcome (even had a sign out at the door). We took pictures, we toured the facility and we also had our massage (which was really great). By that time, it was getting late so we headed back to the hotel, stopping by a seafood market to look around first though. Dinner was very low key, due ailing stomach. I felt bad because I know how important food and dinner is to the Chinese, but my stomach just has to better adjust. I still had a great discussion with Coach Xu though. We talked swimming mostly and it's the one common thing that we know about together. Swimming transcends culture I guess. It was very informative and I like Coach Xu a lot.

Tomorrow is the swimmers day of rest, so I will spend the day touring the city's attractions with Coach Xu, Holly, and possibly Mr. Fan. Should be another great day. I just hope my stomach gets better. On Tuesday, I have a big lecture in front of all the schools coaches (little nervous about that). Coach Xu will let me coach his older swimmers (15-16 years old) in the afternoon of that day. I'm excited for that.



Pictures from the Fitness Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment